Behind the Scenes at NADA: Toyota Puts Mobility on Priority List
Thursday, February 08, 2007
We recently spent five days at the National Automobile Dealers Association convention in Vegas and we scoured the event for great programs for the consumers. We saw amazing new technology in suspensions and safety, new, softer car washing machines, and we saw great new financing and loan systems. But nothing quite took our breath away like the Toyota booth.
There Ask Patty met the champions of the Toyota Mobility Program, newly launched in the States and spreading quickly. We gathered up some great information on the program.
The Toyota Mobility Program supports the mobility needs of Toyota owners and/or family members with a disability. It provides financial support for new vehicle customers, offers special mobility financing and resource information.
The adaptive equipment solutions available for different types of disabilities are many and varied. Matching the right vehicle and equipment to the user's condition is a specialized area beyond the knowledge of most new car dealers.
Begin with these steps:
• Evaluate your needs. Contact a driver assessment specialist or mobility equipment dealer in your area to identify the type of vehicle and equipment best suited to your needs.
• Visit your Toyota dealer and select the right vehicle. Ask about special Toyota Mobility Financing.
• Choose a qualified mobility equipment dealer that meets NMEDA quality standards, to sell and install the adaptive equipment needed.
• Obtain training on the use of the new adaptive equipment.
• Submit your Toyota Mobility Assistance Reimbursement Application for up to $1,000 in support.
Toyota Mobility Assistance Program Guidelines
Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. will provide a reimbursement of up to $1,000 to each eligible, original retail customer, for the exact cost they paid to purchase and install qualifying adaptive driving or passenger equipment for transporting persons with physical disabilities. This offer applies to all purchased or leased new 2001 and later Toyota vehicles. Leased vehicles require advance written lessor approval of adaptive equipment installations.
"Adaptive Equipment" is the term that applies to aftermarket devices, typically installed by a Mobility Equipment Dealer specialist, that make it possible for people with disabilities to drive or be transported in a vehicle.
Although a Mobility Equipment Dealer specialist, such as those who belong to
the National Mobility Equipment Dealers Association, is probably your best
authority on the best solution for you or a family member, the chart below
indicates the types of conversion and/or adaptive equipment available for
Toyota vehicles. Click here for a list of adaptive equipment for each Toyota model.
Certified Toyota Mobility Dealers
A Certified Toyota Mobility Dealer is one that has made a special commitment to serve customers with mobility issues and special needs. This commitment includes:
• A partnership with a mobility equipment dealer who is a specialist at understanding mobility issues and the appropriate adaptive equipment available to meet the transportation needs of persons with a disability.
• A trained Mobility Champion sales manager at the Certified Toyota Mobility dealership who will work with their mobility equipment dealer partner to supply the correct transportation solution.
• The display of some Toyota models with adaptive equipment at the Certified Toyota Mobility dealership.
• The provision of extended term mobility financing from Toyota Financial Services for purchases of both a new vehicle and the adaptive equipment required. (Except FL, NC, SC, GA & AL)
A listing of Certified Toyota Mobility Dealers and their mobility equipment dealer partners are online.
The National Mobility Equipment Dealers Association
has their annual conference February 7-9 this year and Toyota will be
there and will be featuring speakers as well. Our wonderful friends,
United Spinal Association, will be there supporting the event.
Ask Patty wants to give a large kudos to Toyota for being the front runners in this particular education and certification for auto dealers. Make sure you check out their site for great information and some Frequently Asked Questions!