AskPatty Certified Female Friendly Logo

I bought a used vw beetle 2001 gls 2.0 and I really need coolant. I don’t know what type of coolant I have in my car and don’t want to mix them and blow up my engine. What should I do?

Answers from the Automotive Experts

Jessica Howe, Automotive Expert & Coach at


Thank you for writing in. You do not want to be running the engine with low coolant levels. First and foremost, the engine's temperature sensor which feeds into your temperature display on your dashboard, will not be accurate if the coolant levels are low. You won't even be aware that you are doing severe damage to the engine. The type of coolant you are looking for is known as "G12", and will be red in color. You can find it in almost any automotive parts store. This information should also be listed in the vehicle's owner's manual, if it came with the used vehicle. If not, you can always find a new owner's manual for your car online, and/or possibly from the manufacture. 

Good luck!

Contribute to this question:

blog comments powered by Disqus

Related Volkswagen Beetle FAQs

  • Hi! So I purchased a manual 99 vw beetle. Although I love it and am happy with the ... Read More

Need Car Advice?

Ask The Experts!

Looking for a New or Used Car?

Search for our Certified Female Friendly® Car Buying Marketplace locations

Help Our Charities