AskPatty Certified Female Friendly Logo
I have a 2005 Hyundai Tucson and it has been jerking when I drive it. I took it to AAMCO in Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. They said it's more than likely that my catalytic converter is clogged. Does anyone have any feedback and/or advice as to where I can take my vehicle for repair? Thanks!

Answers from the Automotive Experts

Amy Mattinat, Owner and Author at Auto Craftsmen Ltd Hi Vanessa, You need a better diagnosis then 'more than likely'. I wonder if your check engine light is on? IF the catalytic converter was clogged it would most likely set off the check engine light. I recommend you take it to another shop for a second opinion.

Helaine Kurot, Owner/Technician at 360 Automotive Any good repair shop would have an exhaust back pressure guage, or the software to calculate your engine's volumetric efficiancy. Either or both of these tools would assist in confirming that a clogged cat is in fact the issue. Cats are usually covered under warranty for 8yr/80000 miles. If your car falls into this range, the dealer should cover it although they may charge a diagnostic fee. If the cat is clogged, before replacing it the tech needs to figure out why it clogged up so the new one does not fail shortly after being replaced.

Contribute to this question:

blog comments powered by Disqus

Related Hyundai Tucson FAQs

Need Car Advice?

Ask The Experts!

Looking for a New or Used Car?

Search for our Certified Female Friendly® Car Buying Marketplace locations

Help Our Charities