AskPatty Certified Female Friendly Logo
My car is modified for racing, has a bigger muffler and catalyst is different too. I did not pass emission test for that . What can I do???

Answers from the Automotive Experts

Diana Claussen, Owner / Writer at Auto Goddess I usually do not refer people back to a dealership service department especially if their vehicle is no longer under warranty. However, I would speak with an advisor at BMW (or a shop certified in European car repair) to get the specifications of how you will need to properly re-modify your vehicle. They will need to look at it to see what the best fix will be.

Jo An Holt, Automotive Journalist at Holt & Associates Emission tests differ from state to state, with California being probably the strictest. If you can pass in CA you can probably pass anywhere. However, it will be difficult with all those modifications unless you go back to original status of vehicle.

Contribute to this question:

blog comments powered by Disqus

Related BMW 1 Series FAQs

  • I have a 2007 BMW 750Li that I bout cerifited pre-owned about 5 years ago. I heard some ... Read More
  • Is a 2009, Mini Cooper convertible with about 23,000 miles on it, in good condition a ... Read More
  • Good afternoon! My name is Raychel Lean and I'm a journalist writing an article about 10 ... Read More
  • My 2008 BMW 1 series has 56,000 miles. Should I change my tires? Read More
  • A mechanic said the right front strut was leaking. I have noticed that there was a great ... Read More
  • I recently bought a used BMW 2001 M3 - a dream car for me ( a former racer but now a ... Read More

Need Car Advice?

Ask The Experts!

Looking for a New or Used Car?

Search for our Certified Female Friendly® Car Buying Marketplace locations

Help Our Charities