AskPatty Certified Female Friendly Logo
Please help me! I purchased a used car from (business name removed). I was told that when I purchased the car I was also purchasing a "gold" warranty package. The only paperwork I remember signing was the actual contract that has Serv. Cont. and a price. 6 Weeks later I received my warranty package and it was for the "bronze" warranty. I have been fighting with the dealership ever since to get them to either give me the "gold" warranty like I believed I was getting or produce the document I signed showing I bought the "bronze". I have left them several messages and have been in the dealership several times. They have not returned phone calls and they have not produced the paperwork. I have made online complaints to the BBB and the Dept. of Consumer Affairs in Florida What do I do now?

Answers from the Automotive Experts

Cherie Watters, President of Sales and Marketing at Hi Melanie, You can call the warranty company or the bank to obtain a copy of the warranty policy. If for some reason the dealership does not provide you one. They should have provided you with a copy of all of your documents when you signed them. When you obtain a copy of the policy, you can see if you signed the document or not. If you are unhappy with your warranty you can flat cancel the warranty and get a full refund. Have you tried to speak with the general manager at the dealership? If they do not comply BBB is a great option. Hope this helps, keep us posted.

Georgia Brown, Director of Education at National Independent Automobile Dealers Association (NIADA) You might try calling the company that is underwriting the policy. If it is just a local agreement with the dealership, you should have received a list of things that warranty covers.

Patricia Algier , Owner at Valley Dealer Exchange Inc Melanie, I make a complaint to whoever licenses the Dealer. Here in California it Department of Motor Vehicles Occupational licensing. You can also cancel the warranty and get a prorated amount back.

Patricia J Roberts, Director Business Development  at, Inc. If you purchased your vehicle from a new car dealership, the manufacturer has a customer assistance service center that you can call to secure assistance with this issue. And of course you could always visit with a lawyer and have them contact the dealership on your behalf. However it would seem as if your original paperwork would contain some information on what you purchased.

Chris Walsh, Owner at Consolidated Automotive Services of indiana It sounds like you have taken the correct steps. When you sign any contract you re supposed to receive a copy of your signed agreements. It is very possible the vehicle did not qualify for a Gold warranty. Depending on the warranty company some have restrictions as to what level of warranty can be placed on a vehicle based on mileage. Without your copy of the Service contract that you signed for a Gold warranty program you may have to wait to see if they respond to the complaints you filed. You may contact the warranty company directly and see if they have a copy of your agreement. Normally an extended warranty is between the purchaser and the warranty company so they should have your signed copy. Good Luck

Jessie L Thatcher, F&I and Sales Specialist at Reynolds and Reynolds Company  (Retired) Without proof you will have a difficult time getting what you thought you were purchasing. If this is a dealership that is factory base (Chevrolet/Ford/Mazda, etc.) you might try contacting the dealer rep for that area and lodge a complaint. Otherwise you have taken all the right steps to resolve this with the BBB and others.

Contribute to this question:

blog comments powered by Disqus

Related Ford Crown Victoria FAQs

Need Car Advice?

Ask The Experts!

Looking for a New or Used Car?

Search for our Certified Female Friendly® Car Buying Marketplace locations

Help Our Charities