AskPatty Certified Female Friendly Logo
I have a 96 ford ranger with a 4.0l and it looks like I am leaking from my intake manifold and my oil is milky colored. I am trying to find information on how to test my cooling system and how to change my intake gasket if i need to.

Answers from the Automotive Experts

Amanda J. Pierce, MBA Jo, Once your oil becomes milky, you are in territory of tear down and rebuild. This depends on your personal choice in what is best for your situation. You, more than likely, will need to replace head gaskets as well while you are there for preventive maintenance and possibly a timing belt if applicable.

Laurie Sarno, Co-Owner at Super Girls Auto Hello Jo- DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR ANYMORE- you have oil that is contaminated with engine coolant, this will destroy your bearings- get it to your trusted technician right away - they will have to replace the intake manifold gaskets & completely flush all fluid from your engine- good luck- thanks, Super Girls Auto.

Lori Johnson, Owner and Instructor at Ladies Start Your Engines Dear Jo, Your best bet is to purchase a service manual for your vehicle. Look for a Chilton or Haynes manual if you don*t want the expense of buying one from the dealer. This manual will show you how to do the work you need. Keep in mind that you may need air tools to remove the intake manifold. Although I have to say that one time I removed my exhaust manifold with my hand tools...took a lot longer to do the job though :) Good luck. Lori Johnson

Contribute to this question:

blog comments powered by Disqus

Related Ford Ranger FAQs

Need Car Advice?

Ask The Experts!

Looking for a New or Used Car?

Search for our Certified Female Friendly® Car Buying Marketplace locations

Help Our Charities