AskPatty Certified Female Friendly Logo
I have managed to bash in the passenger side front & rear lights. My husband says I can buy replacements at a junk yard [since the car is 10+ yrs old. How do I go about this? Many thanks, Jean

Answers from the Automotive Experts

Amy Mattinat, Owner and Author at Auto Craftsmen Ltd Jean, Is your husband going to replace the parts for you? Before you going spending money - you need to have the person that is going to replace the parts look over the vehicle to make sure it*s just a simple swap. Also, if your local shop is replacing the parts for you, make sure they agree to replacing *customer supplied parts from a junk yard* before you buy the parts. If everything is lined up to get the parts replaced, you can go online to find the parts or call around to local junk yards. You should have the year, make, model and VIN number handy. VIN number = vehicle identification number found on the front dash on the drivers side of the car. It is easiest to see standing outside the car looking in the windshield to the dash.

Amanda J. Pierce, MBA Jen, You can contact your local salvage yard or search online for salvage yards that will ship to your door. They are considerably cheaper than a new light from the manufacturer. There are some salvage yards that will let you on their premises to search and remove the particular part that you need for deeper discounts.

Laurie Sarno, Co-Owner at Super Girls Auto Hello Jean- I would just calling around to your local wrecking yards- some are self serve ( which means you pull your own parts) others are full serve- so just start searching & I am sure you can find what you need - thanks Super Girls Auto.

Pat Fleischmann, Director of First Impressions at Community Tire Pros & Auto Repair Your husband is correct... Look on the net for a salvage or junk yard in your area..Call them & explain the Make, Model & Year of the vehicle and what you are needing....Make sure IF possible to take the car with you to get the part...making sure everything matches up for size and necessary parts included. They are usually more than happy to help or DIRECT you to whom my have the replacement part! Keep in mind, you are buying used, sitting for WHO knows how long and electrical is usually NOT returnable. This outcome could be a HUGE savings or a pain in the butt! Hope your Husband is Handy with Electrical hook-ups! If all else fails, go to your mechanic, he*ll research items needed OR buy new and install. Sorry...

Suzanne Grego, Technician at City of Philadelphia Fleet Management Jean Withers, Check your local Yellow Pages for junk yards in your area. You should be able to call them and find out if your make and model is in their yard and therefore, if the parts you need are available. Junk yards are an excellent source for fining parts - cheap. Suzanne

Contribute to this question:

blog comments powered by Disqus

Related Subaru Forester FAQs

  • The catalytic converter in my car (automatic) is failing. My brother says I don't need ... Read More
  • I have a catalytic converter that is failing (automatic) . My brother said he has gotten ... Read More
  • My Forester has 129k miles on it. It is not steering correctly at slow speeds on tight ... Read More
  • My Subaru Forester is due for a new timing belt. My understanding is that generally the ... Read More
  • What is CarMD and how will it help me? Read More
  • Hi, I have a 2000 Subaru Forrester. I use my local Subaru dealership for all my Subaru ... Read More
  • I have bought 6 Subarus from the same dealer. My last car blew its engine because the oil ... Read More
  • Hi, I just learned about your website yesterday! So here is my problem: My check engine ... Read More
  • What is a reasonable amount to pay to replace a sway bar in 2000 Subaru Outback wagon? Read More

Need Car Advice?

Ask The Experts!

Looking for a New or Used Car?

Search for our Certified Female Friendly® Car Buying Marketplace locations

Help Our Charities