I banged into a curb and scrapped the passenger side of my car. The door is dented and the paint is peeled. The plastic runner was also pulled off. I need to find a good auto body repair shop that will not rob me blind once they see I have boobs. Can you recommend any shops in Toronto?
Posted Jul 20th by Kelly Anne Branco the owner of a Pontiac Vibe
Answers from the Automotive Experts
In Toronto, attendance at a collision reporting centre is optional. It is your right to request that a police officer attend at the accident scene.
Choosing A Collision And Refinish Centre
As the owner of a motor vehicle damaged in an accident, you have the right to choose the shop where you wish it repaired. This is the law!
Do I Need More Than One Estimate?
No. Do not waste your time or that of several shops getting estimates. Select a repair facility you feel comfortable with, then notify your agent or insurance company, or ask the shop to call on your behalf. Your insurance adjuster may have to have the damage to the vehicle inspected. This can be done at an insurance drive-in claim centre or at the shop you have chosen.
Notify Your Insurance Company
Before you authorize any repairs, notify your insurance company or agent, and tell them where the damaged vehicle can be inspected.
Is The Work Guaranteed?
Most collision and repair centres guarantee their work to some degree, which may not include the paint job. Ask to see a copy of the shop's guarantee and have any information you do not understand clarified.
Qualified Collision And Refinish Centres
Look for signs that indicate repair technician certification and training. Membership in professional trade associations indicates that the shop is keeping up with the latest repair procedures.
Know Your Shop
Make sure the shop you choose:
- Maintains a reliable, professional reputation.
- Is properly equipped and organized to meet today's more technical repair needs.
- Maintains specialized equipment and systems at peak performance.
- Has technicians that are thoroughly trained and certified.
Inspect The Repairs
Before driving away:
- Check the appearance of the repaired area close up and at a distance.
- Examine the paint for colour match, texture and overspray.
- Take a test drive to check mechanical repairs.
- Check that the vehicle is clean.
- If you are not satisfied, mention your concerns immediately.
*Courtesy of the Automobile Repair Regulatory Council