AskPatty Certified Female Friendly Logo
Actually my question category was not in the drop down menu - it is about selling my old car. I have decided it is time for us to part ways. Your estimator says that it is value is between 1250 & 3100 but it does not allow factoring in the two fender-benders it has been in. The damage to those was simply exterior dents but I know it affects the value. So - for prep I am going to get it detailed and it is being worked on to clean and replace some sensors and the catalytic converter system. It needs new shocks and struts but at this point I am ready to just sell it outright. My question is where is the best place to target to sell a vehicle that is still basically sound - according to my mechanics? to get the maximum price? Thanks!

Answers from the Automotive Experts

Jessie L Thatcher, F&I and Sales Specialist at Reynolds and Reynolds Company  (Retired) You might want to reconsider putting very much more money into the vehicle. Obviously any dents or damage to the vehicle affects the value. You can try to list it in your local paper, on Craigs lists for your area, or even donate it to charity. If you do sell the vehicle be sure to get a "Sold As Is" signature from the buyer so you will not be held liable for repairs after the sale. You can probably find this kind of document on some of the legal document sites on-line. Also be very sure you have "cash in hand" before turning over the car and the title. Particularly if the buyer wants to pay by check. Cash is always best with this kind of sale. One other option is ask your mechanic if he knows of someone in the market for your type of vehicle.

Amy Mattinat, Owner and Author at Auto Craftsmen Ltd Dear Sheila, I*m uncomfortable that you are spending so much money on a car you are getting rid of. You will unlikely recoup any of the money you spend. Cleaning it is always a good idea... but it would have been better to give a list of what it needs to the next person and not spend your money to replace sensors and the catalytic converter ($-ouch!). If your technician wrote out any kind of paperwork stating the vehicle is sound and needs the following work to make safe & reliable... that would be great. How to get the word out? 1. word of mouth 2. Craigs List 3. For sale sign with info in the car*s window. 4. want ad in the local paper 5. ask your technician if they have a client that needs a good / cheap car?

Contribute to this question:

blog comments powered by Disqus

Related Mercury Sable FAQs

  • When I turn the wheel 3 fourths of the way around on my Mercury Sable it sounds like it ... Read More
  • My Mercury Sable is a 2000 3.0 engine and I want to know how to tell if it's a dual ... Read More
  • The timing chain on my Sable broke while driving down the interstate and ruined the ... Read More
  • I just had to have the torque converter replaced in my 1999 Mercury Sable, what kind of ... Read More
  • Where do i put the transmission fluid in on my 1998 Mercury Sable? Read More
  • Where is the AC service valve on my Mercury Sable to fix the air conditioning to make it ... Read More
  • Does my 2000 Mercury Sable have a timing chain or timing belt? How often does it need to ... Read More
  • I have a 1997 Mercury Sable that I just bought used, and is in very good condition.. ... Read More
  • How do I replace the oil pan on this make and model vehicle? Read More
  • purchased new Mercury Sable 2003, only driver. I have 2 problems. (1) started dripping ... Read More

Need Car Advice?

Ask The Experts!

Looking for a New or Used Car?

Search for our Certified Female Friendly® Car Buying Marketplace locations

Help Our Charities