AskPatty Certified Female Friendly Logo
Have disabled daughter - total and permanent - from work accident. She has a child to support and raise. Despite everything, company still not being responsible, in any regard - medical treatment, pay, etc. Went for over a year without medical treatment causing worsening of problem to the point of it now being irreversible. Does anyone know any avenue of assistance in getting a new, disabled-fitted vehicle so she may have some hope of some kind of employment? The state of residence and where the injury occurred has low caps on what she can receive as political deals were made long ago to attract companies to the state. The workers are not considered, just employers.

Answers from the Automotive Experts

Patty Streeter,  at Mobility Reimbursement Programs and Mobility Vehicle Conversions Most new vehicle manufacturers offer some level of reimbursement rebate to help fund a portion of mobility enhancements completed on new vehicles. We've compiled a list of programs offered by many of the leading manufacturers for modifications made to their vehicles. Keep in mind there are many variables involved in obtaining aftermarket mobility equipment for vehicles. We suggest you request a copy of the Department of Transportation brochure "Adapting Motor Vehicles For People With Disabilities" by calling 1-888-327-4236 or by visiting Most manufacturers place the responsibility of making the modifications on the owners themselves. General Motors'mobility site specifically states "You will be responsible for contacting an independent mobility equipment installer to have any aftermarket device installed in your car or truck. When selecting a mobility equipment installer, shop around and inquire about their qualifications, capabilities, experience, warranty and service practices. Ask for references. Ask if they are members of the National Mobility Equipment Dealers Association (NMEDA), or another organization that has established vehicle conversion standards." This is good advice regardless of which make or model vehicle you own. For assistance finding modification facilities, please contact the National Mobility Equipment Dealers Association ( or at 800-833-0427. The National Mobility Equipment Dealers Association (NMEDA) is known internationally as an organization committed to ensuring quality and professionalism in the manufacturing and installation of safe and reliable mobility equipment in vehicles for drivers and passengers with disabilities. For additional information on which mobility modifications qualify for these reimbursements, search online using the links below.

Contribute to this question:

blog comments powered by Disqus

Related Volkswagen Passat FAQs

  • I want to purchase a car that seats 6 adults with some limited luggage and that can be ... Read More
  • I went to start my 2000 Volkswagen Passat and all you get is a click. No warning lights ... Read More
  • When should the timing belt, serpentine belt, cooling fluid, transmission fluid and break ... Read More
  • This problem started happening about a month ago and occurs only once in a while and ... Read More
  • I have a 2008 Passat. There is a dash warning light that looks like the frame of a car ... Read More
  • I just bought a new car & was told the vehicle I want cost 3k extra so they were able to ... Read More
  • Is it worth paying for the 40,000 mile inspection for my 2005 Passat? It Read More
  • I "need" to sell my car 04 vw passat 4 motion If I advertise myself ? free ... Read More
  • During the first 30,000 miles, I had to replace my rotors TWICE despite bringing my car ... Read More

Need Car Advice?

Ask The Experts!

Looking for a New or Used Car?

Search for our Certified Female Friendly® Car Buying Marketplace locations

Help Our Charities