Tailgating: In North America, a tailgate party is an often celebratory social event held on and around the open tailgate of a vehicle. Tailgate parties usually occur in the parking lots at stadiums and arenas before, and occasionally after, sporting events. People attending such a party are said to be tailgating. Often, people participate even if their vehicles do not have tailgates. A tailgate party may include barbecuing and is usually related to sports fans preparing for games.
Tailgate parties conjure up images of football fans gathering near stadiums, camped out for the pre-game hours and into the game to celebrate their alma mater or favorite team in their SUV or truck. The tailgate party may be as American as apple pie, bringing college friends together for weekend reunions or regular reconnections. Clubs and teams may also gather to root for their team and toast the season.
The expert over at about.com has also assembled a very complete tailgater's guide that includes tips on where to go, what to eat, what to drink, what to wear, how to stay warm, funny and practical tips, facts about tailgating, and much, much more! This one has got the whole hoo-ha, regardless of whether you like to tailgate at music concerts, football games, basketball games, auto races, hockey games, or baseball games... this is the best place to find helpful tips for tailgating in your Truck or SUV.
Hellman's and Best Foods have a fun site that includes an entire section of tailgating recipes that range from salsa and salads to wings and ribs. Check them all out at hellmans.com
Or check out the Yummy Food blog for this Tamale Pie Recipe.
Here is a great tailgaters check list of things you'll need to ensure your tailgte gathering comes off without a hitch:
• Bungie cords/rope (to secure tent, rain tarp or flag)
• Table cloth
• Gas or charcoal & lighter fluid
• Matches or lighter
• Cooking utensils (spatula to flip burgers, cooking fork to stab brats, cooking spoon to stir chili, a good kitchen knife, etc.)
• Utensils to serve food with, as well as those to eat with
• Cooking pans/pots
• Oven mitts, apron
• Water (to drink or douse flame right before kick off)
• Trash bags
• Paper towels/napkins/wet ones
• Bottle opener/can opener/wine opener
• Plates, cups
• First aid kit
• Fire extinguisher
• Flag, flag pole, flag pole holder
• Radio/TV/boom box
• Plastic storage bags
• Football, frisbee, playing cards, games
• Serving tray(s)
• Condiments: buns, cheese, onions, mushrooms, barbecue sauce, salt, pepper, hot stuff, ketchup, mustard, BBQ sauce, cheese, pickles, onions, miscellaneous toppings, etc.
• Rain gear/poncho
• Non-alcoholic beverages (iced tea, fruit juices, soda)
• Kerosene heater
• Sun block
• Game tickets
• Themed decorations
Lori Nebraska is a big football fan over at the Season to Taste blog and made some brownies for her recent tailgate party and forgot her sun-screen so be sure to slather up for your next tail gate party!
Last but not least, you can even find mascot outfits for your favorite pets at Glamour Dog.
Happy Tailgating season!
The AskPatty Staff