It is not something to worry about and is common in dry weather. In Fact, when refueling your vehicle it is safest to get shocked when touching your car door. This means your body has released the static electricity that could cause a serious fire if the static electricity was released when touching the pump nozzle when refueling.
Happy, safe driving,
〉 Answered on May 25th, 2012 by Colleen McGee, Driving Instructor at Americas Driving School
Thank You for writing into AskPatty!! To address your concern in getting shocked at times when you open the drivers door! This most likely is due to dry air and static electricity.
A. J. Valle
〉 Answered on May 25th, 2012 by Amanda J. Pierce, MBA "AJ", Certified Mechanic, Project Coordinator; Primavera Scheduler at VIGOR Alaska Industrial Shipyard & BizzM3ch Solutions